EMpower supports programs to improve the lives of at-risk youth through education, health, livelihoods or leadership development. We generally support service-related activities as well as organizational capacity-building, rather than research or advocacy.
All grant recipients must be a non-governmental organization (NGO), with proof of registration, based in Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, Ghana, India (currently Gujarat, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal), Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Turkey or Vietnam.
- Have a track record of 3+ years work, demonstrable results and interest in measuring results and learning.
- Work directly with young people (ages 10-24) to improve their health and wellbeing, education, leadership or livelihoods (see EMpower’s specific interests within each portfolio).
- Are committed to using recommended good practices to empower, skill and engage youth.
- Have a clear mission and vision, and effective, dedicated leadership and staff.
- Have a strong commitment and ongoing connection to, knowledge of, and respect in the communities served
- Have diversified funding and an annual organizational budget between US $80,000 and US $2 million.
EMpower does not support:
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, physical disability or sexual orientation in policy or in practice
- Emergency or disaster relief alone
- Applicants for scholarships, stipends, conferences, etc.
- Programs promoting religious beliefs
- Lobbying or political campaigns
- Programs related to specific diseases/conditions; hospitals, clinics or direct health care delivery
- Land acquisition or construction of new buildings
- Deficit reduction
DUE TO INCREASED INTEREST IN FUNDING FROM EMPOWER, WE NO LONGER ACCEPT UNSOLICITED LETTERS OF INQUIRY OR PROPOSALS.