Program Officer Positions Available!
Posted 20 November 2017 in EMpower News | Share
Two EMpower Program Officer Positions are available!
If you are interested in joining EMpower’s global team of high energy, forward-thinking program officers, please send us your resume, and a thoughtful communication about why you’d be a perfect fit at EMpower. Please put the position title in your subject line, and email us at email@example.com. All resumes must be received by December 15.
Senior Program Officer for E/SE Asia (Full-time)
This team member, based in Hong Kong, has primary responsibility for the grants portfolio in China including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam. S/he will manage and expand this portfolio and also provide or facilitate related capacity-building assistance to strengthen grantee partners. S/he will report to the Executive Vice President/Global Head of Programmes based in New York. Requirements for this position include:
- Knowledge of philanthropic and non-profit sectors in E/SE Asia; experience in grants management desired.
- Work experience with community-based organizations
- Strong English speaking and writing abilities. Proficiency in Mandarin, Bahasa or Vietnamese desirable.
- Experience with youth development, preferably related to reproductive and sexual health, education or job creation and skills building
- Self-starter; highly organized; proven ability to work independently, anticipate, prioritize, complete multiple projects and meet deadlines, with consistent attention to detail
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to work independently with high degree of judgment and professionalism, as well as virtually with a team across multiple time zones (requiring some evening calls)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with culturally diverse audiences; from from at-risk youth to high profile finance professionals. Client-facing and public speaking skills desirable
- Ability to negotiate complex situations or relationships with sensitivity and tact
- Graduate degree related to international development
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programs
- Ability to work in Hong Kong and to travel in the region (up to 30% annually)
Program Officer for Latin America (75% time)
This team member will manage and grow EMpower’s grantmaking portfolio in 3 of the 15 countries supported in Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, and Peru. S/he will contribute to other initiatives related to programs and/or the organization more broadly (periodic strategic reviews, institutional fundraising etc.). S/he will be based in New York and report to the Executive Vice President/Global Head of Programs. Requirements for this position include:
- 4+ years of programmatic grantmaking experience.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (both oral and writing). Proficiency in Portuguese desired.
- Expertise with youth education, livelihoods, or health and well-being, and gender-sensitive programming.
- Experience working with community-based organizations in Latin America.
- Highly organized, able to work independently, prioritize, complete multiple projects on deadline.
- Strong strategic, analytical and writing capacities.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with culturally diverse audiences—from marginalized young women in communities to donors from the financial sector.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team; demonstrated flexibility and initiative.
- Ability to travel to region (2-3 trips/ year) and occasionally domestically.
- Masters degree in field related to international development or youth development.
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programs.
For both positions, the following are the core responsibilities:
- Develop country strategies to guide grantmaking investments
- Pro-actively source and screen potential grantee partners
- Recommend grant investments, conducting due diligence, reviewing and negotiating proposals and budgets with prospective and current grantee partners.
- Prepare written grant summaries; present recommendations to Grants Committees (directors and donors)
- Monitor grants through visits, grant reports and correspondence; provide feedback to grantees
- Provide programmatic content for proposals and reports to donors; facilitate occasional visits by directors/donors to grantees
- Review and prepare analyses of grantees’ final reports; provide feedback to grantees, summaries for board, staff and EMpower communication materials
- Provide or arrange technical assistance for capacity-building of grantee partner organizations; plan/assist in facilitating learning exchanges among grantees; review or develop content for technical assistance products
- Represent EMpower and the regional portfolio before diverse audiences, including donors
- Network with other funders and international organizations regarding due diligence and collaborative grant-making opportunities
- Share lessons from EMpower grantees and program experience through panels, articles, social media etc.
- Contribute knowledge from the region and programs supported by EMpower to: 1- Communications; sharing insights in writing, panels, content for newsletters, website, 2- Fundraising; occasional proposals, reports, donor meetings/fundraising events, grantee visits, 3- Board discussions. 4- Institutional evaluation, strategic planning and other organizational initiatives
- Network with funders and international organizations on collaborative grantmaking opportunities and due diligence
- Other activities on an ad hoc basis.
For more information on our global work and our grantee partners in each region go to GLOBAL REACH.
View All News