We’re Hiring! Seeking Development and Operations Assistant
Posted 16 July 2021 in EMpower News | Share
EMpower, a global philanthropic organization, is dedicated to improving the lives and horizons of marginalised young people ages 10-24 in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia, and Turkey. Through grants and other supports, EMpower partners with over 100 local organizations working to strengthen the education and livelihoods of young people, and to build their resilience, self-confidence, and well-being.
This position is based in New York and is primarily responsible for supporting USA fundraising through operational support, as well as being responsible for key administrative functions of the New York office. Working as part of a global team of 10 fundraising staff across 5 countries, there is also the opportunity to work with and gain exposure to our global fundraising and communications activity.
The position will report to a Development Manager based in the USA, with a dotted line to the Global Operations Manager. The position will also liaise with the Senior Accountant, based also in the US.
This is an entry level fundraising position that will give excellent exposure to a global foundation focused on international development.
- Execute donation processing including check deposits; Salesforce entry; pledge follow-up, deposit log and coding (USA and UK offices); thank you letters; monthly reconciliation of Sage/QuickBooks and Salesforce; and liaison with Finance team
- Write and send invoices, donation acknowledgement letters and other administrative duties
- Support planning and executing EMpower’s US events and campaigns, as well as global events as needed
- Draft, copyedit, and proof occasional e-blasts and other communications including PPTs, brochures, invitations, etc.
- Maintain, clean up, and update contacts and opportunities in Salesforce as needed
- Maintain updated branded administrative communication templates and coordinate with regional offices
- Keep assigned website content areas updated
- Run and circulate regular Year to Date Development Reports, utilizing Salesforce
- Keep master lists of all Boards and Underwriters updated on website, templates, letterheads, Salesforce, etc.
- Other duties as assigned to support the needs of the Development and Communications team
- Liaise with the Senior Accountant to administer & track pledge deposits, including: reparation of bank deposits for physical checks received; identification of cash received vs open Salesforce pledges; review of bank statements & preparation of the accounting cash receipts log
- Lead point person for phone calls, deliveries, visitors, and vendors
- Maintain inventory of office supplies
- Calendar and manage logistics for staff meetings (agendas, AV, etc.)
- Ad-hoc support of the Operations team
- Bachelor’s degree and 1+ years’ work experience in an office environment, ideally in a nonprofit organization or foundation.
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail and strong follow through.
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills, demonstrating cultural sensitivity/awareness.
- Flexible with ability to juggle tasks and shift priorities as required, managing stress with calm, humor, and perspective.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, and ability to anticipate.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications and comfortable with learning new database technology. Experience using Salesforce and Content Management Systems is a plus.
- Ability to control and handle information that is confidential and time-sensitive.
- Ability to work with quantitative information such as budgets and excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to work with a small team in a dynamic environment.
- Interest in the fields of youth development and/or effective global philanthropy.
- Legal status to work in the US
- Occasional evening work and early morning calls are required.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and your CV to HR@empowerweb.org, putting Development and Operations Assistant in the subject line.
Due to the high number of applications, we will only be able to respond to successful applicants.
EMpower is a public foundation that makes grants globally to benefit marginalised youth, with a strong focus on adolescent girls. We are committed to attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
View All News