Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive.
Controller- 80% Time Position
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (for all three entities)
- Manages cash flow, budgeting, audit, accounting, and financial forecasting. .
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and issues accurate and timely periodic reports to the President and the Board of Directors of each entity on the organization’s financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
- Establishes monitoring, modification and reporting processes to maximize utilization of restricted funding. Prepares financial reports for institutional donors.
- Maintains awareness of studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Recommends improvements in financial and operational systems, processes and procedures for cost-effectiveness, efficiency for strong internal controls.
- Supervise accounts payables and receivables administered by Operations Assistant.
- Weekly approval of budgeted expenses and confirmation of correct coding for efficiency.
- Maintains corporate relationship with external bookkeepers, auditors and banks in three geographies.
- Responsible for assessing efficiency and adherence to best practice regarding HR and IT policies, and service providers.
- Attends and makes presentations at Board meetings, including Finance Committee, as needed.
- Performs other duties as directed by the President.
Skills and Qualifications
- Education and experience:
- Certified Public Accountant and a minimum of six (6) years comparable work experience in an executive, managerial or supervisory capacity. OR
- Master’s degree in accounting and a minimum of four (4) years comparable work experience, including 2 years in an executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory capacity.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and Excel required.
- Experience in working with not-for-profit organizations a must, particularly grantmaking institutions.
- Superior verbal and writing skills, analytical and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with external bookkeepers, auditors and banks, staff and Board Directors.
- Facility to represent complicated financial information in simple graphic form.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
Interest in and commitment to the mission of the EMpower. Submit a cover letter high-lighting your “hands-on” experience in a multi-entity environment, and also a resume to: HR@empowerweb.org.
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru