Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive we want to hear from you.
Director of Strategic Partnerships
EMpower is seeking a creative and energetic Director of Strategic Partnerships to lead global development efforts to raise annual revenue of $6 million. The position, based in New York, reports to the President and works closely with boards of directors and staff of the organization’s three global offices: the US, UK and Hong Kong. In partnership with the President, boards and staff, the Director of Strategic Partnerships will ensure the achievement of all revenue goals, with direct responsibility for $2 million raised in the US. All initiatives will be focused on engaging donors from all sectors (individuals, corporations and foundation), strengthening fundraising and building internal capacity to meet the impact goals as outlined in the recently completed strategic plan.
EMpower is a public foundation committed to building opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 15 emerging market countries. Harnessing the resources of the emerging market financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across three thematic portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. EMpower is based in the US and has affiliated organizations in the UK and Hong Kong and country offices in India and Turkey. See www.empowerweb.org for more information.
- Provide leadership, vision, direction and management for global fundraising effort.
- Energize US fundraising with a hands-on approach with goal of doubling revenue.
- Develop and implement a three-year plan to strengthen global fundraising and build internal capacity in collaboration with President, staff and board committees.
- Broaden and diversify donor base globally, beyond core group of funders, by identifying new prospects and opening up new sources of funding.
- Direct and coordinate development strategies in all three locations to ensure annual goals are met.
- Create and institutionalize a donor cultivation and engagement plan in coordination with the Director of Marketing and Communications that includes moves management (tracking moves and tactics that elevate a donor from cultivation to solicitation).
- Expand resources for donor engagement including the creation of programs that foster grantee partner visits and other volunteer opportunities.
- Steward a portfolio of US donors and prospects while supporting President and Executive Vice President and board members with their portfolios.
- Lead development efforts for annual gala dinner in New York (Spring) and support fundraising dinners in Hong Kong (Winter) and London (Fall).
- Collaborate with global development team to enhance fundraising activities in Europe and Asia.
- Staff US Development Committee and oversee UK and HK Committees.
- Develop best practices and institutionalize necessary development operations and processes. Ensure ongoing consistent development reporting.
- Provide leadership and ensure execution of all fundraising initiatives in the US as well as global donor communications, fundraising materials, online appeals and others as needed in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications. Maintain annual development calendar.
- Utilize technology to communicate with donors and colleagues world-wide and be prepared to travel internationally once to twice annually.
- Supervise half-time of Development and Communications Assistant in US.
- Develop enhanced prospect and donor database capabilities with the development and communications team members globally.
- Commitment to EMpower’s mission, passionate about philanthropy and knowledgeable about and interested in international development.
- 7-10 years of fundraising experience with deep knowledge of major gift processes and systems and at least 5 years at a senior leadership level working on both strategy and day-to-day nuts and bolts, preferably in an international context.
- A self-starter who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and can work independently, prioritize and handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment with keen attention to detail.
- Excellent skills in cultivating and stewarding major gifts and corporate partnerships. Astute at prospecting and donor research.
- Experience in planning and executing special events.
- Comfortable in any professional environment, with ability to work well and interface with volunteers and board members essential.
- Experience in managing and mentoring development staff, able to work virtually with a team across multiple time zones, and demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with culturally diverse audiences with strong personalities, including solid public presentation and writing skills.
- Experience in fundraising software and databases. Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in private sector and/or MBA degree is desired.
- Ability to undertake periodic travel to Hong Kong, London and to Emerging Market countries.
Compensation for the Director of Strategic Partnerships is commensurate with experience; benefits are competitive.
EMpower has retained Strategic Management Consulting to execute the search for the Director of Strategic Partnerships position. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Siobhan McDermott, President
Beth Frank, Senior Consultant
Strategic Management Consulting
151 Hawthorne AvenueGlen Ridge, NJ 07028
Please send cover letter and CV via email in PDF format to email@example.com
Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru