Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive.
PROGRAM OFFICER, TURKEY
EMpower is a public foundation committed to building opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 14 emerging market countries, including Turkey. Harnessing the resources of the emerging market financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across four thematic portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, livelihoods, and leadership and community engagement. EMpower is based in the United States and has
affiliated organizations in the United Kingdom and Hong Kong, and a country office in India. See www.empowerweb.org.
The Program Officer has primary responsibility for growing the grants portfolio in Turkey.
The Program Officer will manage and expand this portfolio as well as, where appropriate, provide or facilitate related capacity building assistance to strengthen grantee partners.
This is a 30-40% time position, with the possibility to increase the % of time in the future as the portfolio grows. The position can be based in Turkey or London, depending on where the strongest candidate resides (note: applicants seeking to stay in London must have the right to live and work in the European Union). S/he will report to the Executive Vice President based in New York.
- Developing country strategy to guide grantmaking investments
- Reviewing, screening and making recommendations on incoming grant proposals
- Monitoring grants through site visits, grant reports and correspondence; providing feedback to grantees
- Preparing written grant summaries and presenting grant recommendations to Grants Committees
- Representing EMpower and the Turkey portfolio before diverse audiences, including donors
- Networking with other funders and international organizations to explore collaborative grant-making opportunities
- Providing or arranging technical assistance for capacity building of grantee partner organizations
- Contributing to EMpower’s communications products and outlets
- Other ad hoc assignments that may arise
- Significant knowledge of the philanthropic and non-profit sectors in Turkey: work experience with community-based organizations desirable
- Experience with grantmaking and philanthropic practices
- Proficiency in Turkish, and strong English speaking and writing abilities required
- Experience with youth development, preferably related to education, job creation and skills-building and/or adolescent girls’ empowerment
- Self-starter; highly organized; proven ability to work independently, prioritize, complete multiple projects and meet deadlines, with consistent attention to detail
- Ability to work virtually with a team across multiple time zones
- Graduate degree related to international development
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with culturally diverse audiences
- Interest and ability to travel in Turkey and, occasionally, internationally
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programs
Interested applicants should send a CV and cover letter to HR@empowerweb.org by May 2, 2014.
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru