Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive we want to hear from you.
Director of Strategic Partnerships
EMpower is seeking a Director of Strategic Partnerships to lead global development efforts to engage individuals, corporations and foundations and to raise annual revenue of $6 million. The position is based in New York, reports to the President and works closely with staff and board committees in all three regions: US, UK and Hong Kong. In partnership with the President, staff and the boards, the Director of Strategic Partnerships will ensure the achievement of all revenue goals, with direct oversight for the US. All initiatives will be focused on engaging donors, strengthening fundraising and building internal capacity to meet the impact goals as outlined in the recently completed strategic plan.
EMpower is a public foundation committed to building opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 14 emerging market countries. Harnessing the resources of the emerging market financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across three thematic portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. EMpower is based in the US and has affiliated organizations in the UK and Hong Kong and a country office in India. See www.empowerweb.org for more information.
- Provide leadership, vision, direction and management to global fundraising.
- Energize US fundraising with goal of doubling revenue.
- Develop and implement a three-year plan to strengthen global fundraising and build internal capacity in collaboration with President, staff and board committees.
- Broaden and diversify donor base globally, beyond core group of funders, by identifying new prospects and opening up new sources of funding.
- Direct and coordinate development strategies in all three locations to ensure annual goals are met.
- Expand resources for donor engagement that includes grantee partner visits and volunteer opportunities as well as institutionalizing systems and processes.
- Staff US Development Committee and oversee Regional Committees.
- Create and institutionalize a donor cultivation and engagement plan in coordination with the Director of Marketing and Communications that includes moves management: moving a donor from cultivation to solicitation.
- Steward a portfolio of US donors and prospects and support President and Executive Vice President and board members with their portfolios.
- Lead development efforts for annual gala dinner in New York (Spring) and support fundraising dinners in Hong Kong (Winter) and London (Fall).
- Provide leadership and ensure execution of all fundraising initiatives in the US as well as global donor communications, fundraising materials, online appeals and others as needed in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Direct and supervise Regional Directors’ work on development in Europe and Asia and half-time of Development and Communications Assistant in US.
- Develop enhanced prospect and donor database capabilities with the development and communications team members globally.
- Ensure ongoing consistent Development reporting.
- 7-10 years of fundraising experience with deep knowledge of major gift processes and systems and at least 5 years at a senior leadership level working on both strategy and day-to-day nuts and bolts, preferably in an international context.
- Commitment to EMpower’s mission, passionate about philanthropy and knowledgeable about and interested in market economics.
- Experience with major gifts, corporate partnerships, events, prospecting and working with volunteers and board members are essential.
- Experience in fundraising software and databases.
- Experience working in private sector and/or MBA degree is desired.
- Experience in managing and mentoring development staff, able to work virtually with a team across multiple time zones, and demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork.
- Ability to undertake periodic travel to Hong Kong, London and to Emerging Market countries.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with culturally diverse audiences with strong personalities, including solid public presentation and writing skills.
- A self-starter who can work independently, prioritize and handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment with keen attention to detail.
Please send cover letter and CV via email in PDF format to HR@empowerweb.org. Including “Director of Strategic Partnerships” in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Programme Officer/ Senior Programme Officer, E/SE Asia
The Programme Officer has primary responsibility for managing and growing EMpower’s grantmaking portfolio in East and South East Asia, which currently comprises ~ 12 active grants in 3 countries. The Programme Officer is expected to manage and expand this portfolio as well as provide or facilitate related technical assistance activities to ensure strong programmatic support of grantees.
This is a 100% time position, to be based in Hong Kong reporting to the Executive Vice President, who is based in New York.
The Programme Officer will recommend and manage grants for India related to EMpower’s four portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, leadership and community engagement, and livelihoods. Responsibilities:
- Review, screen and make recommendations on incoming grant proposals
- Identify and build a pipeline of prospective grantees, building relationships with grantee partner organizations
- Monitor grants through meetings, site visits, grant reports and correspondence
- Prepare written grant summaries and presenting grant recommendations to the Grants Committees 2-3 times per year
- Review and prepare analyses of grantees’ final reports; providing feedback to grantees and incorporating highlights into EMpower communication materials
- Network with donor agencies and international organizations to explore collaborative grant-making opportunities
- Provide or arranging technical assistance for capacity building for grantee partner organizations
- Review or develop content for technical assistance products, internship programs, plan/assist in facilitating learning exchanges among grantees
- Facilitate/lead learning about grantmaking, regional portfolio within EMpower (with other POs and colleagues) and sector colleagues outside of EMpower
- Represent EMpower’s mission, strategies and regional portfolio before diverse audiences
- Other ad hoc assignments that may arise
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Knowledge of, and experience with, grant-making practices
- Work experience with community-based organizations in Asia and/or working with youth-focused organizations, preferably related to education and/or job creation and skills-building programs
- Ability to negotiate complex situations or relationships with sensitivity and tact; excellent judgment, discretion
- Highly organized, with proven ability to work independently, prioritize, complete multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong English spoken and written ability; proficiency in Mandarin desirable
- Consistent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with diverse audiences, from at-risk youth to high profile finance professionals
- Ability to work in Hong Kong
- Ability to work effectively in a small team; flexibility and initiative
- Interest and ability to travel internationally, including occasional 10 day-2 week trips (up to 20% per year)
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programs
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
- Experience/knowledge of coverage countries
Please send cover letter and CV via email in PDF format to HR@empowerweb.org. Include “Programme Officer, E/SE Asia” in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the position has been filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru