Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive we want to hear from you.
Director of Strategic Partnerships
EMpower is seeking a Director of Strategic Partnerships to lead global development efforts to engage individuals, corporations and foundations and to raise annual revenue of $6 million. The position is based in New York, reports to the President and works closely with staff and board committees in all three regions: US, UK and Hong Kong. In partnership with the President, staff and the boards, the Director of Strategic Partnerships will ensure the achievement of all revenue goals, with direct oversight for the US. All initiatives will be focused on engaging donors, strengthening fundraising and building internal capacity to meet the impact goals as outlined in the recently completed strategic plan.
EMpower is a public foundation committed to building opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 14 emerging market countries. Harnessing the resources of the emerging market financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across three thematic portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. EMpower is based in the US and has affiliated organizations in the UK and Hong Kong and a country office in India. See www.empowerweb.org for more information.
- Provide leadership, vision, direction and management to global fundraising.
- Energize US fundraising with goal of doubling revenue.
- Develop and implement a three-year plan to strengthen global fundraising and build internal capacity in collaboration with President, staff and board committees.
- Broaden and diversify donor base globally, beyond core group of funders, by identifying new prospects and opening up new sources of funding.
- Direct and coordinate development strategies in all three locations to ensure annual goals are met.
- Expand resources for donor engagement that includes grantee partner visits and volunteer opportunities as well as institutionalizing systems and processes.
- Staff US Development Committee and oversee Regional Committees.
- Create and institutionalize a donor cultivation and engagement plan in coordination with the Director of Marketing and Communications that includes moves management: moving a donor from cultivation to solicitation.
- Steward a portfolio of US donors and prospects and support President and Executive Vice President and board members with their portfolios.
- Lead development efforts for annual gala dinner in New York (Spring) and support fundraising dinners in Hong Kong (Winter) and London (Fall).
- Provide leadership and ensure execution of all fundraising initiatives in the US as well as global donor communications, fundraising materials, online appeals and others as needed in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Direct and supervise Regional Directors’ work on development in Europe and Asia and half-time of Development and Communications Assistant in US.
- Develop enhanced prospect and donor database capabilities with the development and communications team members globally.
- Ensure ongoing consistent Development reporting.
- 7-10 years of fundraising experience with deep knowledge of major gift processes and systems and at least 5 years at a senior leadership level working on both strategy and day-to-day nuts and bolts, preferably in an international context.
- Commitment to EMpower’s mission, passionate about philanthropy and knowledgeable about and interested in market economics.
- Experience with major gifts, corporate partnerships, events, prospecting and working with volunteers and board members are essential.
- Experience in fundraising software and databases.
- Experience working in private sector and/or MBA degree is desired.
- Experience in managing and mentoring development staff, able to work virtually with a team across multiple time zones, and demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork.
- Ability to undertake periodic travel to Hong Kong, London and to Emerging Market countries.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with culturally diverse audiences with strong personalities, including solid public presentation and writing skills.
- A self-starter who can work independently, prioritize and handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment with keen attention to detail.
Please send cover letter and CV via email in PDF format to HR@empowerweb.org. Including “Director of Strategic Partnerships” in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Assistant Program Officer, India
Full Time (100%), based in Delhi
The Assistant Program Officer has responsibility for supporting and facilitating the grantmaking portfolio and related communications in India related to EMpower’s three portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. The Assistant Program Officer is expected to facilitate technical assistance activities to ensure strong programmatic support of grantee partners. This is a 100% time position, based in India, and reporting to the India Program Officer based in New Delhi.
- Manage a small portfolio of grants in India
- Assist Program Officer for India with reviewing, screening and making recommendations on incoming grant proposals and on grantees’ final reports
- Assist Program Officer for India with data entry of proposals and grant summaries
- Communication with grantee partners to evaluate grants and impact
- Provide planning, logistical and administrative support (sometimes remotely) for events
- Assist with communications about the India portfolio (for social media, newsletters etc.)
- Photocopy, scan, and other supporting documentation management
- Administrative and support duties for EMpower in India, including travel arrangements.
- Other program related tasks on an as needed basis.
- Relevant graduate degree, ideally in Development Studies, Education, Public Policy
- Fluent English and Hindi (spoken and written)
- Legal Status to work in India
- Relevant work experience (2-3 years) with community based organizations in youth development, preferably in education, job creation and skills building and/or adolescent girls’ empowerment.
- Excellent organizational skills and follow-through. Ability to multi-task and shift priorities.
- Initiative; self-starter.
- Command of MS office suite, knowledge of Photoshop and Publisher is an added bonus
- Organized; strong attention to detail; good follow-through
- Initiative/good problem-solving skills
- Experience with logistics for organizing meetings desirable
- Flexibility, sense of perspective and humor
- Critical analytical capacities
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills, demonstrating cultural sensitivity/awareness
- Willingness and ability to travel (potentially up to 10%)
The Assistant Program Officer will report to Nisha Dhawan – Program Officer for India.
EMpower is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks a diverse applicant pool. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th August 2014. Candidates with the best potential fit for the position will be contacted for an interview.
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru