Jobs at EMpower
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects the resources of Emerging Markets (EM) professionals worldwide with the vitality of local organizations in emerging market countries.
Since its inception in 2000, EMpower has granted over $9 million to 124 organizations in 29 countries.
EMpower is happy to accept resumes for open positions only. If you are looking to join a diverse and dynamic team of people devoted to ensuring that young people in developing countries have access to the tools and resources to thrive we want to hear from you.
Development and Engagement Manager, UK
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is seeking a Development and Engagement Manager to lead development and fundraising efforts in London, and other relevant countries in Europe, to engage individuals, corporations and foundations and to raise annual revenue in accordance with approved budgets. The full-time position is based in London, reports to the President based in New York City and works closely with the Global Development Team, the UK Board and Development Committee. In partnership with the President, and the Board, the UK Development and Engagement Manager will ensure the achievement of all initiatives focused on identifying prospects, engaging donors, strengthening fundraising and building internal capacity to meet the goals of EMpower.
EMpower is a public foundation committed to building opportunities for at-risk youth (age 10-24) in 15 emerging market (EM) countries. Harnessing the resources of the EM financial sector, EMpower makes grants to local organizations across three thematic portfolios: education, health and wellbeing, and livelihoods. EMpower’s main office is in the US, with affiliated organizations in the UK and Hong Kong, and program staff in India and Turkey. See www.empowerweb.org for more information.
- Lead, direct and manage all aspects of fundraising and donor engagement for EMpower UK with goal of increasing revenue year after year.
- Manage a diverse and highly engaged Board of Directors and Development Committee.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase and secure underwriting funds to support the organization.
- Broaden and diversify EMpower UK donor base, beyond core group of funders, by identifying new prospects and opening up new sources of funding.
- Personally drive fundraising solicitations, schedule and manage donor meetings for the President and Board, develop fundraising alliances, and work with the Development Committee to develop new income sources, appeal to individual and institutional donors, and lead and direct all other fundraising efforts.
- Expand resources, and in collaboration with the global development team institutionalize systems and processes for donor engagement.
- Coordinate and lead all Development Committee meetings of the UK Board.
- Create and institutionalize a donor cultivation and engagement plan in coordination with the Director of Marketing and Communications that includes moves management: moving a donor from cultivation to solicitation.
- Steward a portfolio of donors and prospects and support President and Board with their portfolios.
- Pursue every avenue for institutional grants, securing general operating and special program funding, and execute/coordinate applications for funding.
- Lead development strategies for and oversee execution of annual dinner in London and other fundraising events (salon dinners, breakfasts with grantees).
- Provide ideas and ensure execution of board and donor communications, fundraising materials, online appeals and others as needed in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Develop enhanced prospect and donor database capabilities with the development and communications team members globally.
- Ensure ongoing consistent Development reporting and periodic board communications.
- Responsibility for all representation and organizational requirements such as annual registration with Charity Commission and reporting to Companies House.
- 5 to 7 years of fundraising experience with deep knowledge and nuts and bolts experience in either major gift processes and systems or institutional funding, with at least 3 of these years at a leadership level working on strategy preferably in an international context.
- Experience with major gifts, sales, corporate partnerships, events, prospecting and working with volunteers and board members.
- Excellent judgment and discretion. Emotionally mature with a sense of humor and grace under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with culturally diverse audiences with strong personalities, including solid English language public presentation and writing skills.
- Adept at developing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other kinds of material.
- Able to work virtually with a team across multiple time zones, and demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork.
- Experience in fundraising software and/or databases.
- Experience working in private sector and/or MBA degree desirable.
- “Doer” who will work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities ranging from the internal day-to-day, to the highly creative, external and visible. Energetic, alert, creative, hardworking, able to take immediate action when needed, recognizes and exploits success, and triages failure when necessary.
- Commitment to EMpower’s mission, passionate about philanthropy and knowledgeable about and interested in market economics.
- Ability to travel (up to 10% per year in Europe)
- Skilled in Microsoft Office.
Please send cover letter and CV via email in PDF format to HR@empowerweb.org with “UK Development and Engagement Manager” in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please
EMpower Underwriter, James Donald with Eliana from Minga Peru